Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Southern Chess Pie and Pecan Pie

My southern husband's two most favorite pies are: pecan and chess. I'll agree that pecan pie has always been one of my favorites as well, but being a "yankee", I had never heard of a chess pie until I met my husband. His Aunt Mary sent me her chess pie recipe shortly after Michael and I were married, and I was amazed the first time I made it. It was SO good. Now it's a staple dessert at our Thanksgiving meal every year, along with a pecan pie.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!


Aunt Mary's Chess Pie

1- 9 inch unbaked pie crust (homemade or store bought)
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 T cornmeal
2 eggs
4 T milk (whole or 2 %)
1 T white vinegar
1 T vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a pie plate with the unbaked pie crust.
Whisk together the butter, sugar, cornmeal, eggs, milk, vinegar and vanilla. Pour into the unbaked pie crust. Bake for 35-40 minutes until set. Cool completely and then serve with homemade whipped cream! Enjoy!




Southern Pecan Pie
(adapted from a recipe by Guy Fieri)


1- 9 inch unbaked pie crust (homemade or store bought)
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 T unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs
2 cups toasted pecans, chopped*

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line a pie plate with the unbaked pie crust, flute the edges.

In a large bowl, whisk together the corn syrup, brown sugar, salt, butter and vanilla.
In a small, separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Then whisk the eggs into the sugar mixture.
Fold the chopped, toasted pecans in to the egg mixture.

(* I highly recommend toasting the pecans for the best flavor, but it's optional. Here's how to toast the pecans: For every 1 cup of pecan halves: melt 1 T butter in a saucepan. Remove from the heat, add the pecans and toss to coat. Spread pecans onto a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from oven and let cool. )

Pour pecan mixture into pie crust. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the center is set. Let cool completely (or overnight) before slicing. Serve with homemade whipped cream! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment