Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

M&M Party Cookies

The holiday season is now in full swing, and it's time for me to start planning my Christmas goodie bags that I send to my extended family each year. I usually mail cookies, candy and other yummy treats. My mom used to do something similar to this for her family every year. Giving homemade gifts is such a wonderful way to show love to each other during the holidays.
These M&M cookies are one of my absolute favorites. I've been baking them since I was little girl, and I still make them every year for Christmas. Everyone loves them.
When my father-in-law was serving in Iraq a few years ago, I mailed a HUGE box of these cookies to him to share with his fellow soldiers for Christmas. They all loved them and were so thankful for the homemade treat. Here's the recipe:




M&M Party Cookies

1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate M&M's (or mini M&M baking bits)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend together the shortening, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat in the vanilla and eggs.
In a seperate medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix well.
Add 3/4 cup M&M's (or 1 1/4 cups mini M&M baking bits) to the batter and mix well, using a spoon.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchement lined baking sheets. Use remaining M&M's to add to the tops of the unbaked cookies (I usually put 3 on each).
Bake for 10 minutes until light golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Enjoy!

1 comment: