Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins

My youngest son, Matthew, loves bananas. He is my only child that does. I buy bananas for him each week, but I always seem to have some that either get too ripe too quickly or just don't get eaten. So, I am always looking for new recipes to use them in. I've made my share of banana bread in the past and am very sick of it so I was very happy when I bought "The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book" by Kelly Rudnicki because in it is a great recipe for Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins. My kids love these! They are always excited when I make them. I pack them in their lunch boxes for snack at school or serve them as an after school snack. Plus, this recipe is egg and nut free! Try them!


Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins
(slightly adapted by me)

2 medium bananas, mashed
2 T water
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1/4 buttermilk (if you don't have any, mix 1/4 milk with 1 tsp white vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes or so)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with baking spray or line with baking cups. In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas, water, melted margarine and buttermilk until well incorporated (I usually do this by hand, but you can use an electric mixer if you wish).

In a medium bowl, combine all flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt using a whisk.

Add dry ingredients to the banana mixture and mix well. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester inserted comes out clean. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment