Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Turkey and Saffron Red Rice

I made this recipe for the first time the other night. It was super quick and easy to make. My husband and I LOVED it. The flavor was awesome. My kids weren't as excited about as we were, but that's ok. The next time I make it, I'm going to make just for my husband and I (the kids can have grilled cheese, haha) and I'm going to add more cumin and maybe a little spice and it will be fabulous! If you feel like something different for dinner tonight, then I highly recommend making this!

(*NOTE: Saffron is pretty expensive, but really makes this dish shine. I buy one jar of it a year with a coupon. If you don't have saffron, then you can just leave it out or possibly replace it with a very small amount of turmeric, starting with a 1/4 tsp and adding more if you want. )





Turkey and Saffron Red Rice
(recipe adapted from Picky Palate)

2 cups Basmati rice, uncooked
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped fine
2 T fresh garlic, minced
1 to 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 pkg frozen cut green beans, cooked or 2 cans cut green beans, drained
8 oz to 15 oz of tomato sauce (I used closer to a whole 15oz can)
1 T ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 T saffron threads

Cook rice according to package directions. Heat oil in a large 5 quart dutch oven or pot over med heat. Add ground turkey, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the onion to the meat and continue cooking until meat is done and onions are soft and translucent.


Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in green beans, rice, tomato sauce, cumin, paprika, garlic salt and saffron.


Stir until well combined and heated through over low heat, about 4-5 minutes. Check seasonings before serving. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I just love the word saffron. Sounds so cool. This looks yummy. your pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete