Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Maple Apple Walnut Bread

I came across this recipe the other day and I instantly wanted to make it. Just the name alone intrigued me. The results? WOW. This bread is gooood. I love how moist it is and all of the different textures in it. It's pretty healthy too. I gave it to my kids for breakfast and they were very impressed. This recipe is definitely a keeper and I will be making it often!


Maple Apple Walnut Bread
(slightly adapted from a recipe by Brandi from Tasty Kitchen)

1/3 cup margarine (or unsalted butter), melted
2 cups white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat)
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup REAL maple syrup
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk (I used 1%)
1 whole apple, peeled and diced (equals about 1 full cup--I've made it using a cortland and then with a gala and both came out great)
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger. In a smaller, seperate bowl, mix the sugar, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, milk and melted margarine.

Add sugar mixture to the flour mixture and mix well. Fold in the apples and walnuts.

Pour batter into a 9x5 bread loaf pan, greased with baking spray. Bake for 70-75 minutes or until the top is golden brown and when a toothpick is inserted in the middle, comes out clean. Enjoy!





1 comment: