Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Italian Pasta and Bean Soup

I'm a huge soup fan. I love to make (and eat) all kinds of soup. I'm especially fond of vegetable and pasta soups. This recipe came to me from my friend Mary Nadeau. She is a wonderful cook and I'm so glad she shared this soup with me because it is awesome. I love the flavor and I love that it's fairly light, yet filling, and super quick and easy. I hope you will love it too!


Italian Pasta and Bean Soup
(slightly adapted by me)

1 T extra virgin olive oil

1 small onion, diced

2 cloves fresh garlic

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 full cup mini bowtie pasta

1 can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed

1 can petite diced tomatoes (with juice)

1/2 tsp kosher salt

2 T dried parsley

2-3 T grated parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook until soft, but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
Add the chicken broth, salt and parsley and heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes (I covered the pot during simmering).
Add the pasta to the pot, bring back to a simmer, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and beans. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.
Check seasonings, cover and let sit for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy with some homemade herbed focaccia bread or Italian bread! Serves 3.


1 comment: