Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Awesome Beef Pot Roast

First, I would like to mention that my husband is an extremely picky eater. His idea of a balanced diet is grilled cheese, bacon, biscuits and pizza. His strongest dislikes are ALL condiments (like mayo, ketchup, mustard, etc), gravies, sauces, soups, stews, most vegetables and mushrooms. When we first got married, I would ask him if he would like certain dishes and his reply would always be "I had that once when I was 5 and I didn't like it so I won't like it now". I was a VERY frustrated cook! I happen to love all food. I can't even come up with 10 things that I don't like. My husband and I are definitely complete opposites when it comes to our palates.

So, how do I deal with his pickyness? It's simple, I don't. I cook what I believe ALL of my family will enjoy and I tell my husband "If the kids have to eat it, so do you!" :)

Granted that line hasn't always worked in the past (especially when didn't have kids yet), but I'm proud to announce today that because of my consistency with him, my husband will now eat and ENJOY so many things that he has always hated.

Here is a recipe that I found that changed how my husband felt about slow-cooked beef roasts. He LOVES this and that is big because he has always hated pot roasts of any kind.

Awesome Beef Pot Roast
(slightly adapted from a recipe on ehow.com)

3-5 lbs Top Round beef roast or Chuck roast
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 water
1 T thyme
1 T rosemary
1 T black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
2 T extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, halved
1 small to medium onion, roughly chopped

Combine water with red wine and pour into a slow cooker (I am a believer in using slow cooker liners. If you haven't used them yet, you have to try them! They make a HUGE difference in the amount of clean up).



In a small bowl, mix together the thyme, rosemary, pepper, salt and olive oil. Rub this herb mixture on all sides of the beef roast (that you have rinsed and patted dry). Place roast on a plate, loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop the onion and halve the garlic. After 30 minutes, remove plastic from roast and place in slow cooker. Add the onion and garlic around the roast. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. I like to flip the roast about 20 minutes before serving so the top gets a chance to soak up more flavor :)


Serve meat with extra juice, mashed garlic red potatoes, vegetables and whole wheat rolls. Enjoy!









1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness that looks delicious. how could anyone hate roast? and I grew up vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete