Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Braised Sirloin Tip Steaks













For my first food post, I'd like to share what I made last night. This is a wonderful, hearty, simple, yet a little time consuming, meal. Perfect for chilly winter nights. I love this dish because the ingredients are simple, yet flavorful and it's very forgiving. I originally found this recipe years ago in a magazine and after making a few changes, this has become a favorite in our home.
For my next blog posts, I hope to have multiple photos to go along with recipes, but because this is my first post, one photo will be all I can do :)

So, to start this dish, you will need sirloin tip steaks, about 2 lbs. (I feed six people: 3 adults and 3 children, on a daily basis so my recipes may be a little bit more then what you need for you families. Most of my recipes will be easy to cut in half though). Slice the steaks into thin, bite sized pieces. Meanwhile, heat some good olive oil in a large cast iron skillet (or large heavy skillet) over medium to medium-heat heat. Add beef once oil is slightly starting to smoke. Lightly season with salt and pepper.

Cook beef for about 4 minutes. Add some diced onion and then continue to cook until the beef is mostly no longer pink. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Next, add the remaining ingredients, except for the water and flour. Bring to a boil, then reduce
the heat, cover and let beef simmer for at least 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
The key to this dish is allowing the beef to cook for a while. It needs time to tenderize and soak in all that flavor.
After at least 30 minutes (the liquid should be about 2/3 of the way absorbed), mix the water
and flour together and then add to the beef to thicken the sauce. Cook for another minute or so until desired thickness is achieved and then remove from heat. (if beef is absorbing liquid too quickly during simmering, you can add more beef broth prior to adding the flour/water mixture. You are trying to achieve at least a 1/3 sauce to a 2/3 meat dish).
I like to serve this meat dish on top of hot cooked whole wheat egg noodles and a vegetable on the side (i.e. steamed broccoli) and whole wheat dinner rolls. I have, in the past, served this over white rice, but my family prefers the noodles.
Don't be afraid of whole wheat pasta! It tastes great and even if you don't think so when you first try it....give the pasta time.....you WILL love it AND its soooo much better for you then regular pasta! Just remember that and enjoy!
Braised Sirloin Tips
2 lbs Sirloin steak tips, sliced
2T good olive oil (I use extra virgin)
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup red cooking wine or regular red wine
2T soy sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp thyme (I used dried)
1/2 tsp parsley (I used dried)
12-16oz low sodium beef broth (I usually use closer to the 16oz)
Salt and pepper to taste
1T flour
1/4 cup water






No comments:

Post a Comment