Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies

These cookies are wonderful. My mom used to make them all the time when my sister and I were younger. They are light, slightly sweet and "melt in your mouth" according to an elderly neighbor that used to live across the street from us a long time ago. Our neighbor, John, used to love it when my sister and I would bring him these cookies. We would visit with him and his wife, Ruth, for hours, listening to stories and eating cookies. Such good memories :)
I'm thrilled to be making these cookies for my family now. Everyone loves them!


Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies
(a.k.a Melt-in-your-mouth cookies--a recipe from my mom)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. In a bowl of a mixer, combine margarine, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Add sour cream and vanilla and mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture until well mixed. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop or spoons, drop batter onto parchment lined cookies sheets 2 inches apart. Sprinkle unbaked cookies with a good coating of cinnamon/sugar topping. Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden brown on the bottom edges. Makes about 4 dozen cookies. Let cool and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment