Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken With Rice And Peas

Happy Martin Luther King Day! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! My husband and I spent our weekend cleaning, de-cluttering and painting our bedroom. It was a huge task, but we were successful and now our room looks great and refreshed. It was a great project!

For dinner last night, because we had been so busy all day, I opted to make one of my family's favorite meals. This is a quick, easy, one-dish meal that feeds a crowd (we always have left-overs) and is sooo good. I consider it a form of comfort food.

Chicken With Rice and Peas

1T Olive oil (I use extra virgin)

1T Butter or margarine (if not using, then use 2T of olive oil instead)

1 small onion, chopped

2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped

1 tsp Chef Paul's Magic Poultry seasoning (or other Cajun seasoning, seasoned salt or regular salt)

1/2 tsp dried parsley

Black pepper to taste

1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces

3 cups uncooked Minute White rice (or other instant white rice)

3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth

1 cup low fat or skim milk

1/2 package frozen peas, cooked and drained.

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (I used the reduced fat)

To begin this recipe, you will need to chop a small onion and a couple cloves of fresh garlic. Then cut up about 1 1/2 lbs of boneless chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.

Next, in a large skillet, heat some good olive oil and butter (if desired, I usually add it, but it's not necessary). Add the chicken to the skillet and then season with some salt, pepper and parsley. I like to use Chef Paul's Magic poultry seasoning on the chicken instead of regular salt. I think it gives the chicken a good flavor and a little kick. I've also used regular seasoned salt, but I prefer Chef Paul's. Cook the chicken for a few minutes and then add the onion and garlic. Continue to cook the until the chicken is done and onions are soft.






Next, add the white rice and stir to combine with the chicken. Then add the chicken broth and milk.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 5-10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Then add the cooked peas and parmesan cheese and stir well. Turn off heat and let sit for a minute.


Stir again and then serve. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment