Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Cookies 'n Cream Cupcakes

I just realized that I've posted a lot of 'sweets' lately. Sorry about that. This has been a busy month for me, which happened to involve a lot of baking. I would like to mention that my waistline has suffered tremendously this month so I am looking forward to trying out new grilled and lower fat savory recipes :) I mean, seriously, the other day I had a cupcake and honey mustard pretzels for lunch. Not good.

Ok, back to these new cupcakes. They are soooooooooo good. I made them as per requested by my oldest son for his birthday. He was actually the one that first saw this recipe on Tasty Kitchen a while back (my son wants to be a chef when he grows up so he loves looking at recipes-with pictures-just as much as I do). He insisted that I make them for his party. And now, I am insisting that YOU make these cupcakes soon. Oreos in vanilla cupcakes, 'nuff said.


Cookies 'n Cream Cupcakes --makes 24 cupcakes
(recipe adapted from Lauren's Latest on Tasty Kitchen)

For the cupcakes:

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour *
1 1/2 cups crushed Oreos

For the frosting:**

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound confectioners' sugar
5 T milk
1/2 cup finely ground Oreos
24 mini Oreos for garnish


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with 24 paper liners.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, one at a time and then add the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again until thoroughly combined.

Gradually add the flour and milk, alternately, until all the ingredients have been added. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Mix once more and then fold in the crushed Oreos.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean (try not to over bake them so they stay moist!)


To make the frosting:
Cream together the butter and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the confectioners' sugar and then add the milk. Mix for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy. Stir in the ground Oreos. Frost cupcakes and then enjoy!

* To make your own self-rising flour: for each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt, mix well.

** If piping frosting onto the cupcakes, I recommend doubling the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment