Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Snickerdoodle Muffins

I love snickerdoodle cookies. I remember making them with my mom when I was younger, along with her recipe for Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies found here. The combination of cinnamon and sugar is just so comforting and sooo yummy! These muffins are wonderful and taste just like the cookie. They are light, delicate, and the flavor is phenomenal. You have to try these!




Snickerdoodle Muffins
(recipe adapted by Heather Christo from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody)


1 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened (I used margarine)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour (I used 1 cup white whole wheat and 1 1/4 all-purpose)
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream (I used light because that's what I had on hand)
1/4 cup buttermilk (can substitute 1/4 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp white vinegar--let sit 5 minutes before using)


For the topping:


2/3 cup sugar

2 T cinnamon Preheat the oven to 350ºF.


Line a muffin tin with paper liners. *These muffins are very delicate so the use of the paper liners is highly recommended.

In a bowl of a mixer, mix butter, sugar and cream of tartar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and combine.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Then add half of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture and stir to combine. Add the sour cream and buttermilk and mix well. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter.




In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.

Use an ice cream scoop and plop a big, rounded scoop of batter into the bowl with the sugar and cinnamon. Gently roll the batter in the sugar and cinnamon. Then place the ball into the muffin liner. Your hands will get messy!






When you have completed all of the muffins, sprinkle the leftover cinnamon sugar onto the tops of all of the muffins. Bake the muffins at 350ºF for about 15-20 minutes or until they are golden on top and just baked through. Enjoy!




* I would like to take a moment to brag a little :) Two weeks ago, my cheap Walmart hand mixer (it was literally only $15), that I had had for over 2 years died while I was making frosting. I was very sad because even though it wasn't any where near top of the line, it had worked very hard for me and I took good care of it. BUT, I am so over that mixer now. My husband, the sweet man that he is, INSISTED that I buy myself a good (meaning expensive) hand mixer to replace the cheap one. So I bought this Cuisinart hand mixer and I LOVE it! I think I have used it almost everyday since I got it. It has sooooo much more power then my old one and I LOVE the beaters, they are awesome! Ok, thanks for letting me brag...I rarely get new appliances for my kitchen so I am very excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment